Since the first patient walked through its doors in 1944, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has treated thousands of children in its quest to make cancer history. In 1955, MD Anderson Cancer Center opened an inpatient unit specifically dedicated for children with cancer. Since that time, the pediatric oncologists and specialists at MD Anderson have forged new paths in cancer therapy for children.
In 2005, our pediatric program was renamed the Children's Cancer Hospital at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. The renaming marked the 50th anniversary of the pediatric program and aimed to send the message that children and cancer are a priority at MD Anderson.
The Children's Cancer Hospital is home to one of the largest multidisciplinary pediatric cancer care programs in the nation caring for approximately 1,700 children a year. Because our primary focus is cancer, we see more types of cancer than any other children's hospital in Houston or Texas.
Cynthia E. Herzog, MD
Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Pediatrics